Individuals at the helm of today’s nonprofit organizations must operate with an external as well as internal focus. This involves authentic interpersonal communications, a clear sense of mission, and the ability to collaborate with others.
Since Board governance varies greatly from organization to organization, Ford Thompson works within the historical context of your organization to determine the most effective governance role for your Board. Be assured that no matter if your Board should be operationally focused, as is the case for a new nonprofit, or policy driven, as more established Boards typically are, we find the most effective way for a Board to achieve
Ford Thompson believes that the commonly accepted responsibilities of effective board members, no matter the type of non-profit, are to:
Ford Thompson Consulting
- Ensure that the organization's mission is always clear, appropriate, and relevant.
- Determine that the organization's programs and activities support the organization's missionand achieve both their short-term goals and long-term purpose.
- Exercise fiduciary responsibility to obtain and appropriately use the resources required to carry out the organization's mission and sustain it.
- Cultivate a deep understanding of what the organization is doing through involvement in its activities.
- Act as ambassadors for the organization, explaining its purpose and needs to the community.
- Make sure that the organization fulfills its ethical, legal, and regulatory obligations.
- Attend Board meetings fully prepared to discuss, ask questions, and make decisions related to the organization's purpose, goals, and activities.
- Evaluate the composition and performance of the Board and recruit future Board leadership.
can help you achieve a high-performing Board through an affordable, effective, and practical approach that delivers proven productivity, better processes, increased capacity, and enhanced communication for your Board.
Please call us at 812-635-0311
to discuss your specific requirements and how Ford Thompson can help your organization. Prefer to communicate by e-mail? Please click here